With so many different directions you could go in, deciding on a color palette for your kitchen makeover is a recipe for frustration. For many homeowners, the easy solution is simply to paint everything white!
Find out if the timeless white kitchen is the right choice for your home:
- White cabinets create the illusion that your kitchen is bigger than it actually is. In addition, lighter colors deliver a more welcoming vibe to the room and brighten up the space.
- Nearly every cabinet design looks great painted white. You can save thousands on your kitchen remodel by refurbishing the cabinetry you already own. Keep a can of paint around for quick and easy touch-up.
- White goes great with every other color combination or time period. Maintain the flexibility to be able to switch between traditional or contemporary themes.
- Similarly, white goes with all appliance finishes. There won’t be any need to repaint or rethink your design down the road when it’s time to purchase a new refrigerator and range.
- A simple white palette allows for a stunning centerpiece like marble countertops to truly stand out and steal the show.
- A white backdrop is ideal for contrast against striking and colorful highlights.
- Cracks and other signs of aging show more quickly in white cabinetry.
- Dirt, grime, smudges, fingerprints, scratches and grease appear more prominently, and sauces and other food products are liable to permanently stain white paint more so than other colors.
- White kitchens void of additional flair seem cold, sterile and boring. White can’t stand by itself.
- Maintenance can be tedious, particularly for families with small children. White has a tendency to look very clean or very dirty.
Bear in mind neighboring rooms
Some homeowners want the kitchen to be the focal point of their home. Others prefer to draw visitors’ attention elsewhere.
A white kitchen bordering a dark colored room will pull eyes away from the dark and into the white. Do not go with white if you prefer your kitchen to meld into the background.
So many whites to choose from
If you come to the conclusion that you do, in fact, wish to move ahead with the white motif, the next step is to determine which type of white you’re going for.
Shooting for a pure white makes it difficult to match different textures and finishes. Painted wood, appliances, flooring and countertops will all appear slightly dissimilar even when featuring the identical white hue.
Consider a white with subtle undertones of blue, grey, yellow or pink. If you are unable to distinguish the delicate differences on your paint swatches, use a blank sheet of computer paper for comparison.
A quick note on white appliances and sinks
With stainless steel appliances all the rage, it’s easy to forget that traditional white appliances offer several advantages over their shiny counterparts.
White appliances are easier to maintain as they can be cleaned with a simple mix of soap and water. Stainless steel must be polished with a special solution. White finishes are also less susceptible to showing fingerprints, dents and other signs of wear and tear.
KOHLER® Enameled Cast Iron Kitchen Sinks resist chipping, cracking, or burning for years of beauty and reliable performance.